Thursday, March 01, 2007

Confessions of a Yarn Snob

This recent knitting binge isn't the first one I've ever tried. I've attempted to learn it, on and off, ever since high school (which was, um, longer ago than I care to admit). That's not even counting my brief, sad flirtations with crochet, all of which ended up with triangular swatches.

But I discovered something interesting this time around -- it's a lot easier to knit with expensive yarn than it is with cheap yarn, which is what I used every other time I tried to learn to knit.

Cheap yarn sucks. It doesn't stretch, it feels rough in your hands, and it's hard to see what the pattern is that you're making. It's not fun. And what's the point of working with something that's not fun?

The Jester Scarf was a joy to make, because the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Superchunky that I used was so easy to work with, even as a rank beginner. It was soft and stretchy, very forgiving but shows the pattern off in a really amazing way. Even the iPod case I made with some of the leftovers looks great.

Right now, I'm working on a keyhole scarf with some Lion Brand Lion Suede acrylic yarn that I bought at Joann's, and I just don't like it. It's hard to work with, it doesn't give, and my pattern is looking pretty weird because when it stretches, it doesn't bounce back.

Yes, I'm only on my third knitting project, and I have already become a yarn snob. Natural fibers only for me, thankyouverymuch.

No comments: